Open Menu
Close Menu


Fighting for victims of negligent driving.

According to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), traffic crashes killed 857 cyclists in the United States in 2018 and injured tens of thousands more. Due to the size and strength of vehicles compared to bicycles, injuries are often severe and can result in hefty medical bills, lost wages and long-term rehabilitation or care needs. Common injuries include broken or crushed bones, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries, nerve damage and dislocated joints.

Negligent drivers often fail to watch for bicyclists, run cyclists off the road, turn in front of bikes or ‘door’ cyclists while getting out of vehicles. Driving too fast or while under the influence of drugs or alcohol are also common factors in bike crashes. Injured cyclists and their families can seek damages through negligence and wrongful death lawsuits.

In 2014, Cavanagh Sorich Law Group obtained a landmark $9.75 million settlement for Terri Cenar, a former triathlete and daily cyclist who became trapped under a semi-truck in 2011 after it failed to stop at a right turn. Cenar suffered devastating injuries when she was dragged under the truck’s wheels and crushed. The settlement, which was reached six months before the case was set to go to trial, was one of the largest truck crash lawsuit settlements in Illinois history.

About Cavanagh Sorich Law Group

Cavanagh Sorich Law Group has obtained more than $650 million in verdicts and settlements in Illinois and across the United States. Our veteran trial attorneys are aggressive advocates who practice every facet of personal injury law and take on cases of all sizes. We operate on a contingency basis, meaning you don’t pay anything unless we win. At Cavanagh Sorich Law Group, we pride ourselves on attentive customer service and being there for families in their times of need. Our well respected, award-winning attorneys are available 24/7 for your questions and concerns. To schedule a free case evaluation, call 312-425-1900.

Contact Us

To speak to an attorney and find out whether you have grounds to file a personal injury lawsuit, fill out the form below or call 
(312) 425-1900.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I was involved in a car accident?

Call the police immediately and file a police report. Even if the damage was minor, it is essential to document what happened with a law enforcement agency. Take photos at the scene.

Never admit fault. Your testimony could be used against you at a later date. While you are required to speak to police, there is no obligation to talk to another person’s attorney or insurance company. Avoid providing written or oral statements.

Report the accident to your own insurance company as soon as possible — but don’t admit fault. Many insurance companies have rules requiring policyholders to report crashes within a certain timeframe. Check your policy to ensure you don’t miss any deadlines.

Visit a doctor as soon as possible after the crash. Whether you’re filing an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit, it is imperative that a medical professional documents your injuries.

Hire an attorney. Cavanagh Sorich Law Group’s team of veteran trial attorneys will help you obtain maximum benefits through meticulous research, proven strategy and expert testimony.

Can I still receive compensation if I was partially at fault?

Yes. Illinois has comparative negligence laws, which allow injured parties to have some degree of fault in an accident and still recover reduced damages. The amount of money recovered may be proportional to the degree to which a person is at fault. Insurance companies make determinations following interviews with witnesses and involved parties and a thorough review of the accident report.

How long do I have to file a personal injury lawsuit?

Under Illinois law, people have two years from the date of an accident to file a lawsuit in civil court. That timeframe drops to one year if the claim is against a municipal government, such as a city or county.

The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.